Wesley Grove United Methodist Church was deemed a historical landmark on April 26, 1982 for its influence in molding the heritage of northern Anne Arundel County.
Our church itself is the outgrowth of two former Methodist Churches, Ridge and Friendship. Friendship was very active in the community, however, Baltimore City acquired the land, including homes of its church members, to construct the Friendship International airport (now Baltimore Washington International). After the closing of the church in April of 1948 the members joined with Ridge, their sister church.
In May of 1948 it was decided upon that the newly jointed church should be called Wesley Grove. Funds were raised and the new church was consecrated on Sunday, November 4, 1951 which included the stained glass windows and the chandeliers from Friendship that we still have today. The four cornerstones of the building represent Ridge Episcopal Methodist Chapel, Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church South, Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Wesley Grove Methodist Church.
Today we remember the congregations of Ridge and Friendship with respect and gratitude for the foundation they laid. Their spirits have continued into the life of our church today. Wesley Grove has been serving the Lord and our community for more than 60 years.